BOST Energies Averts Kumasi Depot Tanker Drivers’ Strike   

BY GRACE ZIGAH

BOST Energies has engaged fuel tanker drivers and secured a suspension of a planned three-day strike over concerns surrounding operations at its Kumasi Depot, including a damaged loading arm and inadequate parking space for Bulk Road Vehicles (BRVs).

The intervention follows growing concerns among tanker drivers over conditions at the Kumasi Depot, with the drivers reportedly preparing to embark on a three-day industrial action to press for improvements.

In a statement issued on August 17, 2025, BOST Energies acknowledged the concerns raised by the tanker drivers and assured them and other stakeholders that steps were already being taken to address the issues.

According to the company, the concerns were not new to management and had been under consideration before the planned strike action.

The two main issues identified by the company relate to the condition of a loading arm at the Kumasi Bulk Road Vehicle Park and inadequate parking capacity for tanker trucks operating at the depot.

Damaged loading arm raises concern

BOST Energies said it had already engaged a contractor to undertake the necessary works to replace the damaged loading arm.

The company explained that the intervention was intended to restore the loading infrastructure to the required standards of operational reliability and safety.

Despite the concerns surrounding the loading infrastructure, BOST Energies maintained that the Kumasi Depot continues to meet market demand using the existing loading arm.

The development had nevertheless become a concern for tanker drivers whose operations depend heavily on efficient and safe loading infrastructure to transport petroleum products to various parts of the country.

Parking shortage compounds tanker operations

Beyond the loading infrastructure, BOST Energies also acknowledged concerns over the limited parking space available for Bulk Road Vehicles at the Kumasi facility.

The company said it had previously acquired land for the development of a larger parking facility capable of accommodating about 200 trucks.

According to BOST Energies, a contract has now been awarded for the construction of the new BRV facility.

The planned facility is expected to significantly increase parking capacity and reduce congestion associated with tanker operations around the Kumasi Depot.

Until the new facility is completed, the company said it has resorted to leasing a third-party facility as an interim measure to provide additional parking space for tanker operators.

Strike suspended after engagement

The threatened industrial action was subsequently placed on hold following direct engagement between BOST Energies and representatives of the tanker drivers.

The company said its management met with representatives of the drivers and provided assurances on the measures being implemented to address their concerns.

Following the discussions, the tanker drivers agreed to suspend their planned three-day strike and continue engaging with BOST Energies while the outstanding issues are being resolved.

The decision has temporarily averted a disruption that could potentially have affected the movement and distribution of petroleum products through the Kumasi Depot.

BOST stresses importance of tanker drivers

BOST Energies said it recognises the critical role tanker drivers play in ensuring the efficient distribution of petroleum products across Ghana.

The company therefore called for continued constructive engagement between management and the drivers and their representatives as efforts continue to resolve the concerns.

BOST Energies further said it would continue working with tanker drivers, the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) and other relevant stakeholders to address the outstanding issues in a sustainable and responsible manner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *