By NADIA NTIAMOAH
FIFA has ended the tenure of Chief Operating Officer, COO, Kevin Lamour after the senior official openly criticised President Gianni Infantino over a controversial proposal to allow private equity investors to acquire a stake in the commercial operations surrounding the World Cup.
Lamour, a 45-year-old French national and longtime member of Infantino’s inner circle, was removed from his position on August 17, 2026, marking another dramatic development in the growing internal and international dispute over Infantino’s proposed restructuring of FIFA’s commercial activities.
FIFA confirmed Lamour’s departure but did not directly link the decision to his criticism of the investment proposal.
“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a FIFA spokesperson said.
The governing body thanked Lamour for his two years of service and wished him well in his future endeavours.
FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom, in a letter to FIFA vice-presidents and council members, similarly described the departure as a mutually agreed decision reached after discussions.
“Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, have agreed to part ways,” Grafstrom wrote.
He said the decision had been taken “after careful consideration and with great respect” for Lamour both personally and professionally.
Grafstrom also praised Lamour’s contribution since joining FIFA in November 2024, saying he had overseen a period of significant change, including improved stakeholder relationships and the delivery of several major projects.
Lamour’s exit, however, comes against the backdrop of his unusually direct criticism of FIFA’s leadership over Infantino’s proposed commercial investment strategy.
In July, Lamour accused FIFA of having been “deceived” by what he described as a lack of transparency surrounding the plans. He also complained about the treatment of FIFA employees during the controversy, arguing that staff deserved greater openness and respect.
Lamour’s criticism became particularly significant because of his close association with Infantino. He had been part of the Swiss-Italian administrator’s inner circle during the campaign that culminated in Infantino’s election as FIFA president in February 2016.
Despite that relationship, Lamour made clear that he was prepared to accept the consequences of speaking publicly.
“I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight,” he said after declaring that he was prepared to lose his position while defending his colleagues.
